LL-L "Etymology" 2008.05.10 (01) [E]

Sat May 10 18:08:59 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 10 May 2008 - Volume 01

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.05.09 (01) [E]

Beste Ron,

you wrote:

> The Standard German name for the flower (one of my favorites) genus *
Paeonia*, English "peony," is *Pfingstrose* ("Whitsun rose").
> However, when I grew up, in my part of Northern Germany it was called *
Bauernrose* ("peasant rose") in German. Clearly, this goes back to > a
Missingsch substratum which by definition comes with a hefty Low Saxon
substratum. And, in fact, we call the flower
*> Buurnroos'* (*buernroos'*) in Low Saxon.
What do you think about my suspicion that there could have gone
any labyrinthine and mysterious way from '*Paeonia*' to '*Buur*nroos' via
Spanish '*peón*', meaning E *~ 'peasant' = *German '*Bauer*'/LS* 'Buur'*? I
could imagine this having been a miss-translation, caused by the lack of
knowledge that 'Paeonia' is named after the antique god *Paieon*.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Jonny!

I find your theory very interesting and impressive indeed.

Please don't take it as patronizing when I say that I've been watching your
etymological "sense" develop in leaps and bounds lately. I'd love to think
that Lowlands-L has something to do with that.

And, by the way, folks, *Buurroos'* (without the "n") is more common in Low
Saxon. I must have been influenced by *Bauernrose*.