LL-L "Anthropology" 2008.05.25 (04) [E]

Sun May 25 17:57:34 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 24 May 2008 - Volume 04

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anthropology" 2008.05.25 (02) [E]

Okay, I must REALLY not want to get to work; i am even being drawn into THIS
discussion!

> This no-earlobes characteristic must be real (cf. piercing of Basque
> girls' earlobes at young age). Can this feature be attached to any of
> the contributing races. Is it found today?

Don't know what exactly we mean here by "races", or by a given feature being
attached to any said race. BUT, that said, longer earlobes are uncommon
enough in Japan to warrant:
1) people commenting quite regularly on MY long earlobes (long = what to me
has always been considered "normal" / uncomment-worthy)
2) long earlobes being considered "lucky" (THIS may in fact be attributable
to the long, pierced earlobes typical of statuary of the Buddha ... even in
Japan!)

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक || માઈક || ਮਾਈਕ
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India
++++++++++++++++
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
++++++++++++++++
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anthropology

All our Mike says above goes for me also.

The long, pierced earlobes are a perpetuated symbol of the fact that
Siddharta Gautama (ca. 563-483 BCE), "the Buddha" (but really one of "untold
buddhas"), deliberately forfeited his heritage of the kingship of
Kipalivastu, an area split among today's Nepal and India. Aristocrats of
that part of the world at that time wore heavy ear ornaments that over time
lengthened their earlobes. The lengthened earlobes without ear ornaments
serve as a symbol of Siddharta's beginnings and drastic change in life and
thus of much of his teachings. In certain Chinese, Korean and Japanese
circles this seems to have been "folklorized" as a good omen, as Mike
commented.