LL-L "Names" 2008.11.09 (02) [E]

Sun Nov 9 22:35:17 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 November 2008 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Dear Lowlanders,

According to the Lower Sorbian Wikipedia (
http://dsb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg), the old name of Hamburg is Hammaburg
(as many of us know), and the (Old) Polabian name is *Děnjow*.

This Slavic name is news to me. I wonder if this is a fact, and I also
wonder if anyone dares to etymologize it.

Apparently, there were Polabian villages in the eastern part of what is now
Hamburg, and the early bishopric Hammaburg (situated at the then
northeastern edge of Frankish power, an outpost for Christianization of
Vikings and Slavs) was repeatedly attacked and occasionally successfully
sacked by Jutes and Polabs.