LL-L "Language use" 2008.11.19 (02) [E]

Wed Nov 19 19:40:45 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 November 2008 - Volume 02

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2008.11.19 (01) [E]

Hey Heather, I recognise the story you just posted here, as I've had similar
things happen to me nearly every 2 weeks here. In my case it's even more
ridiculous!
As some on here might know I'm a Fleming living in Amsterdam in the
Netherlands, have been living here for 2 + 0.5 years now (one year
inbetween, in Norway).
So I do speak the same native language as the 'locals'. Of course I have a
strong Antwerp accent (stronger than average because of cultivating in the
past years), but ever since primary school I have been taught standard Dutch
+ having lived so long from home has made me speak mainly standard Dutch
with regional accent when I'm in the Dam, using hardly any regional words or
constructions and with a much adapted pronunciation.
However still, especially when I go to bars or restaurants, I am being
replied to in English. I know that Amsterdam is a very touristy place, so
Dutch people are used to speaking a lot of English to foreigners here. But I
ask something in Dutch, and I am more or less a native speaker! This happens
at least once or twice every 2 weeks.
Even when telling them in Dutch that I speak Dutch they continue in English
as if they didn't understand me. When I say in English that I am a native
Dutch speaker they still won't get the point. So I just switch to English
along with them to save hour long attempts o trying to tell them that they
can actually understand me altho they don't realise.
More embarassing yet is that in many of these cases from their first
(English) answer I can deduct that they actually understood what I
said/ordered. I ask something, and they answer my question in English! Isn't
that awkward... so they can't pretend not understanding me... strange, two
natives of the same language having to conversate in English because one
refuses to acknowledge that he actually understood that other person. Like a
person from Marseille speaking standard French would get served in English
in Paris, just because the barkeeper hears he's not from the capital! In
France the negative feelings towards English still prevent situations like
this occurring though, I guess.

Greetings, Diederik

--------------------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Wow, Diederik! That seems really extreme, and pretty rude actually. Although
they may think of themselves as cool for acting like that it shows lack of
respect when it continues after you challenge it.

Have you ever considered asking them straight out, "Why do you insist on
speaking English to me when you and I are both Dutch speakers?" and see what
they have to say for themselves then?

Or, you could just turn away from them and ignore them if they ignore your
objection. Of course this would make you seem rude, but then again,
*they*are rude.

Or, Diederik, very heavy-accented and Scots-infused Scottish English and see
them react to that.