LL-L "Music" 2008.10.06 (03) [E]

Mon Oct 6 19:05:13 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 October 2008 - Volume 03

 From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Music

Dear Lowlanders,

Some of you may remember my friend Hannelore Hinz who is an honorary member
of Lowlands-L.

Not only is Hanne very creative and does a lot for her native Mecklenburg
Low Saxon, but she is also active in the regional traditional music scene.

I just added to her corner of our on-line gallery (
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hinz-en.php) a sound recording of her playing
her oldest, nearly 100-year-old squeezebox (*Treckfiedel* "pull fiddle").
The title of the piece is the *Windmöllerdanz* (Wind Miller's Dance),
probably the best-known peasant dance of the Mecklenburg area.

http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hinz_windmoellerdanz.php

I am drawing your attention to it because some of you may be interested to
hear the pretty much authentic sound of the music played a hundred or more
years ago when people gathered to dance on Saturday nights. The clicking of
the buttons makes it sound as though there were dancers wearing wooden
clogs.

Our friends in and from French Flanders, Belgium, the Netherlands,
Scandinavia, Finland, Northern Poland and the Baltic Countries, probably of
England, will most likely find this old-time music rather familiar sounding.
Furthermore, it leads over to the neighboring Central German musical
traditions.

Hanne wrote an article about the *Treckfiedel* in her area for our
traditions series:

English: http://lowlands-l.net/traditions/music_treckfiedel-en.php
German: http://lowlands-l.net/traditions/music_treckfiedel-de.php

Also, I ought to point out Hanne's Lowlands song which comes in Low Saxon,
accompanied by our Marlou's German and English versions:

http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hinz_uns_lowlands.php
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hinz_uns_lowlands-de.php
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hinz_uns_lowlands-en.php

Hanne is very productive indeed. I have a great, big backlog of her material
I need to post to our series as well as to Hanne's own series (
http://lowlands-l.net/hanne/).

Enjoy!
Reinhard/Ron
(suddenly down with a massive cold ...)

P.S.: It would be nice if some of you would add material to our various
series:
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/
http://lowlands-l.net/history/