LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.27 (06) [D/E]

Mon Oct 27 23:27:17 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 October 2008 - Volume 06

From: Roland Desnerck <desnerck.roland at skynet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.27 (04) [E]

Beste Lowlanders,

Het Nederlands is inderdaad "dun"; het werkwoord "verdunnen".

Het West-Vlaams van de kust (en dus ook van Oostende) is: "dinne". De
comparatief "dunner" is bij ons: "dinder"; het werkwoord: "verdinnen".

Buikloop: "de dinne"

Een flauwe mop = e dinn!.

In een oude tekst las ik voor de ziekte DE PEST = de  ziekte van de
rapedinne.

Toetnoasteki,

Roland Desnerck

Watergangstraat 9

8420 Klemskerke

België

----------

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

from Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Reinhard wrote "Thin" is *dün* (*dünn*) in Northern Low Saxon, derived from
Old Saxon *thunni*.

Old English has the equivalent *þynne*, Old Frisian *thenne*, Old Norse *
þunnr*, Old German *dunni*, Old Germanic **þun(w)u*- , Indo-European **tenus
*.

My Oxford Etymological would connect thin to  the IE *ten- / *ton- meaning
'stretch/extend"

Now this I think is based in truth! For example I am only 5'3½" but I have
the mass of a 6ft model. IF I were stretched to that height, I might achieve
the 'thinness' I am seeking !

As it is I am the opposite of 'thin' - what is the IE stem for 'compact'????
Is it the same a 'fat'

Heather

PS There is a 2nd Heather Rendall on Facebook. It is NOT me! Just in case
anyone had discovered it! I hate photos of me and rarely take a good one.
That is because in my mind's eye I really am stretched 6 ft instead of a
squat 5ft 3½in.

PPs Hope the head is (getting) better.