LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.31 (03) [E]

Fri Oct 31 18:21:02 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 October 2008 - Volume 03

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.30 (04E]

Re Duivenmelker: Yes Jonny. The farmer makes money of his cows and the
Duivenmelker makes money of his Pigeons.  Just like a "Kippenmelker" keeps
taking the eggs away so that his chickens will keep producing new eggs. And
then there is the "Huisjesmelker"; the man who rents small dilapidated old
houses to poor people and asks too much money for it.

Happy Halloween,  Jacqueline

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Jacqueline. I suppose that abundant use of 'to milk' befits the
language of a nation so rooted in dairy industry.

I assume a *huisjesmelker* is what in American English is a slumlord.

In German, reference to milking mice (*Mäusemelken*) refers to going crazy,
usually in the expression *Es ist zum Mäusemelken!* ("It drives you nuts!").