LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.23 (01) [D/E]

Tue Sep 23 14:22:31 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 September 2008 - Volume 01

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.22 (02) [E]

Roger,
Ik weet niet hoe je het doet, man, maar jij vindt altijd de
allerinteressantste artikels en dergelijke....
Bedankt
Stan

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.21 (04) [E]

I received today: Septentrion, vol. 37, nr 3 (2008)

cover: http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/cover.jpg

The magazine (in French) has 2 articles about Afrikaans.

I scanned ald logged in temporary directories for a couple of days

(copyrights may apply)

The future of Afrikaans.

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/11.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/12.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/13.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/14.jpg

(e-mail address of the author on p 14)

Teaching of Afrikaans at the Sorbonne (a major French university)

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/15.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/16.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/17.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/18.jpg

(e-mail address of the author on p 18)

*Septention *is one of the publications of Ons Erfdeel

"*Ons Erfdeel*" promotes Dutch-Flemish Litterature and Culture globally,

but especially in Northern France.

Jozef Deleu, inhabitant of Rekkem at the French border, started with it
shortly after the war.

Especially the publications in French are very popular, since Northern
France is extremely interested in Dutch-Flemish culture, without going as
far as learning Dutch.

web: http://www.onserfdeel.be

A drawback for this group is that they hide our regional varieties and
mention only Frisian as a non-Dutch regional variant, cfr the map at p. iii
of the cover of the Septentrion issue.

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/map.jpg

So they are hyper-correct(?) followers of the "Taalunie".

BTW It is curious how names flipped in our lowlands area.

Saturday, at an antiquarian fair in Brussels, I bought 4 issues of an old
magazine published in Bouillon.

The Duchy of Bouillon was a kind of South-Ossetia. Originally dependent from
the Principality of Liège, it sought and got a kind of protectorate status
from France (expanding towards the river Rhine) and it could stay more or
less independent for centuries, comparable to the actual Monaco. It became
French in 1795, remained French in 1814, but it was attached to the
Netherlands in 1815 and became part of Belgian Luxemburg in 1830.

In the contents p.96

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/96.jpg

fron this issue

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/afr/co_bou.jpg

one sees that they use:

*Hollande* for the Northern Netherlands (The United Provinces or the
Republik)

*Pays-Bas* for the Austrian Netherlands (roughly the actual Belgium)

(The regional language of the Bouillon area is Gaumais, the Belgian variant
of Lorrain,

in the publication scanned from only French is used)

Regards,
Roger