LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.01 (02) [E]

Wed Apr 1 14:45:34 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 April 2009 - Volume 02

From: Wojciech Langowski <langus3 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lowlands : Fankydey name etymology

Hello,

 First of all thanks for allowing me to sign-in to your group. The reason
I'd applied for signing-up is that I would like to verify some hypothesis
regarding etymology of the name of my Grandmother.

 I'm living in Poland in vicinity of Gdansk and most of my ancestors had
their origin from the region located south of Gdansk along the delta of
Wisla river . This area in 16th,17th and 18 century was assimilating
immigrants from Germany, Netherlands and other Western European countries .
My father's Grandmother family name is "Fankidejska" and according to the
tradition ,the name has its origin from the name of Frisian (or Flemish}
merchant who settled in the said area in 17th century. For your explanation,
in polish language, particle ‘ska’ or ‘ski’ at the end of the name is
typically added to the root word  to distinguish the name format (similar
like ‘son’ in some other languages). As the original sound of the said name
was transformed to fit to polish tongue, it is believed that it was spelled
originally like "Van Kidej", or "Van Kydey" and the family originator might
been a Mennonite who (or his pedigree) married polish woman and converted to
catholic  . That sounds quite probable, but it  is difficult to find
etymology of the original name. I would like to ask of your opinion about
said hypothesis. Do the word "Kidey" or sounding similar, mean anything in
any Lowland language?. Are there existing similar family names?

 (for some information about Mennonites in Poland I can recommend you
http://holland.org.pl/)

Best regards to all

Wojciech Langowski

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Welcome on board, Wojciech!

Is it phonologically possible that the Dutch name van den Dijk (or van de(n)
Dyk or some other spelling) – "from/of the dike" – got "tweaked" to become
Fankidej in Kashubian or Polish?

Seattle, USA