LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.06 (04) [E]

Tue Apr 7 00:24:39 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 April 2009 - Volume 04

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.04 (02) [E]

>From Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Our Greg said "that meks us reet Miffed"

In J Davies " The Celtic Elements in the dialects of Lancashire" he has
'miff' meaning displeasure or ill-humour  having its origins in Irish Gaelic
'miabhan' with the same meaning  (bh = f/v)

And also 'chuffed' meaning pleased or delighted - he says is derived from
Welsh 'hoffi'= to delight in.

Both these words were unknown to me in my Sussex childhood and only became
part of normal everyday speech in the 60s with the advent of the Beatles and
Cilla Black ( who still is as chuffed as anything!) and all things
Liverpudlian.

I wouldn't be without either of them.... lovely words!

Heather

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hmm... Interesting, Heather. I wonder why I am so familiar with “miffed”
then. My time in London? Australia?

I was not familiar with “chuffed”, though.

Cheerio!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA