LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.04.15 (04) [A/E]

Wed Apr 15 15:43:06 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 April 2009 - Volume 03

From: E Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.04.09 (04) [A/E]

Haai almal,

John, ek ken ook net die trekklavier as ekwivalent, en terwyl die konsertina
die kleiner in-twee-hande-vasgevoude  Engelse instrumentjie is.

Ken jy die vorm 'donkielong'? Is dit die volksbenaming vir 'n konsertina of
vir 'n trekklavier?

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at gmail.com>

Dear John le Grange and rest of Lowlanders,

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Lowlands-L List
<lowlands.list at gmail.com>you wrote:

> There appears to be some confusion in the dictionaries I have consulted
> about the larger stringed instruments. Both the violoncello or cello
> (usually Afrikaans: Tjello or Violonsel) and the Double Bass (usually
> Afrikaans:Kontrabas) are called a Basviool. Perhaps Lexicographers are
> better at making word lists than at being musicologists :).
>
>  Exactly. Violins, violas and cellos all belong to the violin family, with
both the peg end and bridge end of the instrument box rounded.

Viola da gamba, treble viol, bass viol and double bass (or double bass viol)
all have the box filleted up along the neck of the instruments. In the
modern day "bass viol" is synonomous with "double bass viol" unless you
happen to be an old music nut. Among the latter "bass viol" is a cello sized
instrument with frets, which one bows with the bowing hand supinated. Both
the bowing and frets reduce the musical dynamics, as required for
renaissance and baroque music.

Jorge Potter

Hasta aquí habemos llegao.