LL-L "Travels" 2009.04.16 (06) [E]

Thu Apr 16 23:06:21 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 April 2009 - Volume 06

From: "Mari Sarv" <mari at haldjas.folklore.ee>
Subject: Travels (Vs: LL-L "Traditions" 2009.04.16 (04) [E])

This reminds me that two days ago I arrived to Scotland to stay here for a
month (and a couple of days on Shetland).

Thus, I would be happy, if anybody could add some bits to our Travels
section about Aberdeen(shire),

for just to suggest what could I see or where should I go to or how to spend
well some spare time here.

Mari Sarv

Aberdeen, Scotland

---
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

As for Susan Boyle, I am sure you and I are not the only ones that relish
her success and the splash she has made with her first performance in the
contest. What it's really about is that the world loves an underdog turned
hero. A supposedly plain Jane, an unemployed no-spring-chicken,
never-been-kissed spinster who lives in semi-rural West Lothian, Scotland,
with her cat Pebbles, wowed all those that had made faces and had giggled
sarcastically when she said she was dreaming of becoming a professional
singer.

Even though there may be a bit too much to-do about her right now, I feel
that the message ("Don't judge a book by its cover") is coming across
clearly. Also, I welcome the slap in the faces of those media folks that
routinely discriminate against people on the basis of their looks and ages,
that make their living by dictating what sorts of persons we should find
attractive and worthy of respect.

Should any of our Lowlanders have been visiting a different planet while
this was going on, here are three video clips to fill you in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn7So0NC74s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaF5-moIvQ

I like that lass. Yes, she does have a "cheeky smile", and that's always a
good start as far as I am concerned.

Seattle, USA