LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.28 (01) [E]

Tue Apr 28 14:37:09 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 April 2009 - Volume 01

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hey LLers!
I'm about to finish my bachelor thesis for which I'm writing 30 entries for
the last part of the (A-R already published) Dutch Etymological Dictionary
by the AUP (Amsterdam University Press), and as I'm supposed to find as many
related Germanic/IE words, I thought maybe y'all would find joy in seeing
your language a little more represented:) I'm mainly thinking about Low
German, as Old Saxon forms are easy to find but the modern descendants more
difficultly. But say if Scots preserves one of these words where modern
English has replaced the Anglo-Saxon by something else, I'd be glad to have
it included too.

I already figured out most of the etymology on these words so no need to
send me whole lists of obviously related words, I'm looking for A)
interesting minority Germanic words and B) of course if you have an insight
that really differs from what you read in your average etym. dictionary I'm
interessed in your opinion. But I just want to save everyone wasting their
time writing about 'web' that it comes from 'to weave', for instance:) I
need solid and expert information.

List of words:
waaien ('to blow'), wafel, web, wee (adj. unpleasant/noun 'birth pain'),
weemoed ('melancholy'), weer ('weather'), weinig ('little/few'), wel
('well/good'), welles ('but yes!'), welig ('richly'), welven ('to whelve'),
welzijn ('well-being'), wenen ('weep'), wenk ('sign, wink'), wenken,
wenkbrauw ('eyebrow'), wereld ('world'), werf ('wharf'), werf ('x times'),
werk ('work'), werken, werkelijk ('real, really'), werpen ('to cast, to give
birth (animals)'), worp ('throw, also of animals'), wervel ('vertebra'),
wervelen ('to whirl'), werven ('to recruit'), wesp ('wasp'), west, wet
('law'), weten ('to know'), weetgierig ('eager to know/learn'), weven,
weefsel ('something that's woven'), wezel ('weasel').

Hail, Diederik

PS if possible, share your glosses in standardised spelling (for any
language), although eg. Low Saxon doesnt have 1 single conform spelling. If
a Scots word for instance is only used in Ulster, then I'd also like to
know.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Diederik!

Here's something Low Saxon (Northern, Germany) right off the bat:

waaien ('to blow') weihen [wayen] (id.)

web (web) Webb ~ Weff (id.)
wee (adj. unpleasant/noun 'birth pain') Weh [wey] (id.)
weemoed ('melancholy') Wehmood [weymoud] (id.)
weer ('weather') Wedder ~ Weer ~ Wäär (id.)
weinig ('little/few') wenig [weynig] (id.)
wel ('well/good') wull (id.)
welig ('richly') welig ~ wälig [welig] *(blissful)*
welzijn ('well-being') Wullsien [wulsyn] (id.)
wenen ('weep') wenen [weynen] (id.)
wereld ('world') Welt< German, originally native *wereld *(id.)
werf ('wharf') Warf [warv] (id.)
werk ('work') Wark (id.)
werken (to work) warken (id.)
werpen ('to cast, to give birth (animals)') warpen (id.)
worp ('throw, also of animals') Worp ~ Wurp (id.)
wervel ('vertebra') Warvel ~ Warbel (id.)
wervelen ('to whirl') warveln ~ warbeln (id.)
werven ('to recruit') ~ warven ~ warben (id.)
wesp ('wasp') *Weps* (id.)
west (west) West (id.)
wet ('law') Wett [wet] (id.)
weten ('to know') weten ~ wäten [weten] (id.)
weven (to weave) weven ~ wäven ~ weben ~ wäben [weven] (id.)
wezel ('weasel') Wessel ~ Wessling (id.)

Good luck with the thesis!

Seattle, USA