LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.10 (06) [EN]

Mon Aug 10 20:39:12 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 August 2009 - Volume 06
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ron,
You wrote:

The *thik* group (which may be etymologically related to the modern "thick"
group) seems to be specific to the Frankish group but is also represented in
Old English.

I've heard older people use the word "som-wijlen" (pronounced "soemaëlen"),
meaning "sometimes". "Dik" in "dik-wijls" probably connects with "thick" (E)
indeed.
"Dik" is also often used in a figurative way, for example: " 't Is dik tien
uur" = "It's a little after ten". " 't Was dik negen euro" = "It cost a
little more than nine euro".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Luc.

All this "thick" business seems very Frankish, especially Rhenish, to me.

I suppose that in some contexts it corresponds to English "good", as in "He
must weigh a good three hundred pounds."

P.S.: Luc Hellinckx, Halle
Remember it's Halle, Belgium, folks, not Halle, Germany.