LL-L "History" 2009.08.22 (02) [EN]

Sat Aug 22 18:44:02 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 22 August 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.08.120 (01) [EN]

 > From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: LL-L History
> ... Apparently there has been a pre-Hanze, controlled by Saxons. ....
 relevant trade towns: London, Quentowic (in France), Dorestad, Hamburg,
Haitabu and Birka in Scandinavia.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentovic
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentovic
> "En 2004, pour la première fois, des vestiges ont été localisés à La
Calotterie, entre Montreuil-sur-Mer et Le Touquet, au mont de Beck,
Visemaretz."
> I made a little scan (an excerpt from roadmap 101 of the IGN, scale *
1:100.000*):
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/hahn/sax.jpg
I made an additional scan of a larger scale map (map nr 2105-ET of the IGN (
*1:25.000*))
in 2 parts:
East: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/hahn/saxe.jpg
with *Visemaretz - La Calotterie - Montreuil-sur-Mer*
West: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/hahn/saxw.jpg
wth *Etaples.*

I tried to find some literature about the 2004 excavations in French
literature, but in vain.
Looking at URL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etaples I read:
* quote
*Étaples was one of a number of sites identified as Quentovicus from which,
as from Boulogne-sur-Mer Roman ships prepared for the passage to Britannia.
However, excavations coordinated by Dr David Hill of Manchester
Universitybetween 1984 and 1991 uncovered the remains of a substantial
settlement at
Visemarest near the hamlet of La Calotterie. This site is located to the
east of Étaples, further up the Canche valley near the town of
Montreuil-sur-Mer.[2] This is now accepted as the site of Quentovic,
although the finds from the excavations are to be found in the Musée de
Quentovic in Étaples (the museum predating the discovery of the site itself
by a number of years).*
*During the ninth century this coast, like that of eastern England, was
subject to raids and settlement by Norsemen. From their point of view, this
off-shore site, protected by mud flats and marsh, was ideal as a base from
which to conduct raids elsewhere, assemble the booty and perhaps ship it off
home.*
* end quote
So the 2004 excavations may be preceeded by Manchester Uni excavations in
1984-1991 and those results are most probably published in some
archeological magazines in the UK.

Some key date translated from the French from URL
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentovic
- It is an old harbor from the *7th till 9th century*
- It has been personal property of Charlemagne
- First quotes of the city are by Eddius Stephanus in Vita Wilfridi
- and by Bede in his church history, noting that the bischop of Canterbury
passed there in 669
- It had a mint workshop
- Traded goods include:
*  - linen from the UK*
*  - amber from the Baltic*
*  - tin from the Isle of Wight*
- At the time the valley was completely flooded at high tide.
- It has also be the base for a section of the Roman fleet in the *3d--4th
century*
- Trade towns included: *Ribe, Hedeby, Dorstad, Birka, Hamwith*
- The size *35 ha* was comparable with:
  Dorestad 40 ha
  Southampton 45 ha
- The type of harbor was suitable for the *Frisian and Saxon ships with flat
bottom*
- Reference is made to a *trading language* "*Nordsee-Germanisch*"
- It had a "customs administration" function for trade between *Kent*
ans*Neustria
*
- Its disappearance may be linked to:
   - pirate incursions
   - the developments of Boulogne-sur-Mer (more to the North) and
Montreuil-sur-Mer
   - the fragility of the wooden harbor structure
* end quoting of highlights

*Coins* of the town (1g of silver, coinage of the xth century) *sell for 110
euro:*
http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/vso/v25/gb/monnaiesgba92d.html

Regards,
Roger