LL-L "Delectables" 2009.12.10 (01) [EN]

Fri Dec 11 01:04:48 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 December 2009 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hello, you silent lot!

Here's a seasonal treat for you.

Tonight being the beginning of Hanukkah, I'm invited to *latkes* parties
tonight and tomorrow night. It's a usually delicious and greasy affair that
involves singing and "carrying-on."

This reminds me to ask if the equivalent, namely any kind of potato
pancakes, are traditional in any Lowlands culture, especially in the festive
season of the Northern Hemisphere winter.

*Latkes* (Yiddish: לאַטקעס, Hebrew: לביבה *levivah*, plural לביבות *levivoth
*) are traditionally eaten as a part of celebrating the eight-day Jewish
and sour cream.

My family in Northern Germany also had potato pancakes (Low Saxon *
Kartüffelpuffer*, *Kartüffelpannkoken*, Northern German *Kartoffelpuffer*, *
Kartoffelpfannkuchen*) as a favorite winter dish, often served on New Year's
Eve. They were made very much like *latkes*, but usually accompanied only by
applesauce (to cut the grease). I'm not sure if this is because my family's
culture owes much to Central and East European cultures or if other North
German families featured the dish as prominently. And what about our
neighbors to the west? And Britain?

Here in the United States it tends to be associated mostly with Jewish
tradition in general culture.

Happy Hanukkah and Advent!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA