LL-L "Games" 2009.12.28 (04) [EN]

Mon Dec 28 23:06:41 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 December 2009 - Volume 04

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L Childrens' Games

Paper airplanes in space!

-------

To see this story with its related links on the guardian.co.uk site, go to
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/27/paper-plane-flight-record-japan

Paper plane enthusiast sets flight record

Takuo Toda targets 30-second barrier after hand-folded paper-only plane
stays in air for 26.1 seconds in Japan

This is a VERY ambitious claim ! Let me assure you that Scottish schoolboys
were making origami type paper aircraft from at least the 1930's.
While we never timed them, few wrist watches in the 1940's I am certain that
some of our Masters creations had excellent flight durations in excess
of this claimed world record. If caught in a small thermal those craft just
kept rising.
Favoured trick was rubbing the model on our shorts to give a curvature which
helped. These were proper Origami type planes made in two pieces with tail
base folded so it fitted into the pointed fusilage head prior to folding it
down to give a weighted "head" end. Plane was spread over the owner's palm,
index finger extended over body, then it was tossed while being held in a
vertical position.
Those planes were totally unlike the pathetic  one piece paper darts I have
encountered elsewhere. I wonder if Scots laddies still make them or do any
kids in other Lowlands nations ?
 Best Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
An honest man's the noblest work of God (Robert Burns)