LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.02 (05) [E]

Tue Feb 3 04:03:13 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 February 2009 - Volume 05

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax"

Beste Lucas,

Referring to a Norwegian genitive construction you wrote:

* To what extent is found in the other Lowlands (and Germanic) languages,
and is there an origin that is generally agreed upon?  I don't think that
I've seen it in Dutch, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's found.
 *

The same construction is not only very common in Brabantish, it's rooted so
deep that while writing my thesis, I had no idea that to linguistic
outsiders, my promotor being one, they clearly stuck out. He was Flemish and
would rather use genitive -s or -van, instead of my -zijn/-haar. Some
examples:

Flemish: Luc's vader heeft ...

Brabantish: Luc zijn vader heeft ...

(both as subject or not)

Similar for feminine and neutral nouns (living being or not): 't School zijn
dak is er af gevlogen. (B) De moeder haar kind was dood bij de geboorte. (B)
Ik heb het aan zijn zuster haar vriendin gegeven. (B) Ik moet nog mijn
schoen zijn zool repareren. (B)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx