LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.05 (02) [E]

Thu Feb 5 15:21:23 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 February 2009 - Volume 02

From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.04 (05) [E

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.02 (03) [E]

from Heather  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Certainly Shakespeare uses this form by late 16thn century

I have always associated this construction with the middle to late
seventeenth century and cant remember ever coming across it in Shakespeare
(although I have never looked systematically).

David Clarke

From: LUCAS ANNEAR <annear at wisc.edu>

Thank you all for the host of replies!  It's interesting that where it is in
use, it's often not an acceptable written or formal construction.  Though I
don't necessarily have a lot to add, I hope the discussion continues, it's
quite interesting!

-Lucas Annear
Madison, Wisconsin, USA