LL-L "Anthems" 2009.02.14 (02) [E/LS]

Sat Feb 14 18:54:28 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 February 2009 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Anthems" 2009.02.13 (04) [E]

The use of "God Save the Queen" as an English anthem at sporting events
irritates me. It was written as the anthem for the United Kingdom, and once
more it is England's job to be "British" and inclusive, while the other
coutries express their indvidual identity.  The only time we hear an
exception is in the Commonwealth Games, where nobody plays "God Save the
Queen", and England uses "Land of Hope and Glory", which I believe we should
always use.

In the Olympics, where the United Kingdom takes part (*not* Great Britain,
despite the use of the initials GB on the tables etc.), "God Save the Queen"
is reasonable - though note that after the UK's most successful Olympics
ever, Wales and Scotland held special receptions for their contributors.
Similar suggestions for England were dismissed as "divisive", or even
"fascist".

I haven't actually noted what happens in the case of Ireland. In football
(Soccer), Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic field their own teams. In
Rugby football in the Six Nations contest, there is a single Irish team
including players from Ulster.  I must take note of what they sing in each
case.

Paul