LL-L "Anthems" 2009.02.14 (06) [E]

Sun Feb 15 02:42:10 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 February 2009 - Volume 02

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anthems" 2009.02.14 (02) [E/LS]

On 15/02/2009, at 5:05 AM, Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk> List
wrote:

 It was written as the anthem for the United Kingdom, and once more it is
England's job to be "British" and inclusive, while the other coutries
express their indvidual identity.

Maybe so bit one vesrse, kept very quiet, is highly derogatory to Scotland,
condemning us as Traitor Knaves among other slanders.

Us Aussies dumped it years ago for Advance Australia Fair.

I haven't actually noted what happens in the case of Ireland. In football
(Soccer), Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic field their own teams.

Scotland of course also fields its own soccer team, for all the good it has
done them :-)

The people are fitbaw daft and will start brawls in pubs arising from
disagreements on teams. Despite all the fanaticism they have not won an
International in years

and Australia advanced further during the last World Soccer Cup and we do
not take the Game all that seriously here. I grew up in foibaw fanatical
Edinburgh where

I chose to ignore the Game,

Record of the last time Hearts or Hibs won The Scottish Cup is in an ancient
scroll long lost.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae

Brisbane

AUSTRALIA

"Oh wad some power the Giftie gie us,

Tae see oorsels as ithers see us

Robert Burns

----------

From: Tom Carty <cartyweb at hotmail.com>

For rugby, a song was written specially to get round the anthems issue,
called Irelands Call. Before, all matches up north played God Save the
Queen, while down south when playing all stood to attention to Amhran na
bhFhiann...

For soccer sometimes they sing Danny Boy up north, but officially it is God
Save the Queen

Poetry on all topics...
________________________________
Writings in Rhyme
www.writingsinrhyme.com
www.lulu.com/cartyweb

----------

From: James Wilson <jawi2300 at gmail.com>

Hi Lowlanders,

I believe it is a good thing to "stir up the hornets' nest".  If it is
the only way to get out into open discussion what we think and believe
in private.  Calling a Scots or Welshman English is worse than calling
an Austrian German.

Regards
James
British/Northumbrian

James Wilson
Egilsgade 23, 3th
Copenhagen S
DK-2300
Denmark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anthems

Hi, James!

Welcome among the Lowlanders, and congratulations on getting your feet wet
right away!

You wrote:

Calling a Scots or Welshman English is worse than calling an Austrian
German.

True. But I was trying to edge toward the compassionate, positive angle by
suggesting that at least in theory the people of England seem to be coming
out short in the current deal: they still look like the conquerors and in
the process lose the official identity of their own country.

The Isle of Britain has come a long way since World War II, especially
lately. Among other things, Wales and Scotland have been undergoing
political emancipation (which has been called "devolution"), and their
cultures and languages are being openly celebrated.

Historical conquests aside, the rich cultural and linguistic heritage of
England deserves just as much celebration. I see nothing odious in this, as
long as the people of England do not regard theirs as being superior to
those of other countries.

Please take a look at this article:
http://tinyurl.com/this-england

Regards and a special cheerio to our English, Scottish and Welsh Lowlanders!
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA