LL-L "Phonology" 2009.02.19 (03) [E]

Thu Feb 19 18:33:51 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 February 2009 - Volume 03

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

   1. I don't think we can tell from which varieties this supposedly areal
   feature of aspirating only stressed syllables (shared by Danish, Low Saxon
   and American English) originally emanated. I guess it is not impossible that
   it was an areal feature already at the time when Saxons (then living at the
   mouth of the Elbe river), Angles (living in what is now Schleswig) and Jutes
   (living just north of there) emigrated to Britain and that they took it with
   them where it may have survived in certain English dialects, possibly in
   Wessex. I'm not too sure about it being due to a Celtic substratum, because
   I would expect it to be more wide-spread in Britain then.

>From what I read, proto-Celtic had no aspiration to speak of.

Only "recently" (c. 500 AD), insular Celtic started to develop the feature.
Maybe precisely because of Saxon influx?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx