LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.24 (03) [A/E]

Tue Feb 24 15:59:02 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 February 2009 - Volume 02

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

Beste Mike,

You wrote:

*
* R/R wrote:*
* > Switzerland has four different languages.*
*  *
* As opposed to Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia-Hercegovina which have
three SAME languages!
;-) (maybe by now Montenegirn is a fourth?)*

They hàve been the same. Until people started drawing borders and the big
"divorce" began in former Yugoslavia.

We experienced something similar in Northern Belgium. As soon as you split
Brabant (Noord-Brabant vs. Antwerp/Vlaams-Brabant), Vlaanderen
(Zeeuws-Vlaanderen vs. West/Oost-Vlaanderen) and (to a lesser extent)
Limburg, you will have different communities, watching different
tv-stations, reading different newspapers and getting different education.
People focus on different things, in short: they grow apart. Their dialects
as well. Which means, that even in today's world of greater mobility and
regiolects instead of dialects, a state border is still very much what it
is: a border, a divide.

I remember reading a study about how dialects along the Belgo-Dutch border
were still very similar until mid 20th century. Dialects gradually changed
from one village to another (walking distance defined one's world) and there
was no strong centralizing force/culture that would set an example or become
a standard. Then quite suddenly, the scale on which culture was happening
became much bigger. Radio and TV definitely changed that landscape. The
linguistic gap between South and North started widening. The continuum was
torn apart. The Flemish regiolect now stops south of the border and the
Dutch one halts at the other side.

Similarly, if ever the Internet would split the world in half, I'm quite
sure this would have devastating effects on culture too. The levelling
effect would be tremendous, whereas now we have something that almost grew
in an organic way. OK, there's chaos as well, but that's good I think.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle

----------

From: G TIGHE <tighe at sympatico.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.23 (02) [E]

'Many Scots who speak English do so with a Scottish accent.'

And inversely my Australian  wife assures me, that  after over 30 years in
Australia, when I revert to Scots on visiting Edinburgh

I do so with an Australian accent I did not even know I had.

 Regards

Tom Mc Rae

Hi Folk:

After 40 years in Canada, I am readily  identified as Scottish. However on
returning to Scotland I am heard to be Canadian.
My first days here I spent a lot of effort repeating my words. I then
thought I spoke well, and clearly the Queen's English.
I realized later that it was less my accent and more my vocabulary.
I saw the licht, I had discovered that bonny beasty, the guid Scots tongue.

kind regards

Gerald

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language diversity

Hello, Gerald! Long time no hear.

It sure is a treat.

Luc, what you wrote regarding "intralingual" alienation due to political
boundaries and subsequent national centralization is certainly true in many,
many cases throughout the world. Other such cases are the Low Frankish and
Low Saxon varieties of Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany, most pronounced
the borders between the Dutch-speaking world and the German-speaking world.

Seattle, USA

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.23 (06) [E]