LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.24 (05) [E]

Wed Feb 25 00:29:39 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 February 2009 - Volume 05

From: Robert Haslach <roberthaslach at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.24 (03) [A/E]

My wife and I lived in the Netherlands 1973-77 - a time of two interesting
phenomena:
as the  EEC (not yet the EC, et alone the EU) drew the prospect of European
federalism and the fear of homogenisation closer, the more books and
interest I noticed in NL and BE on the regional and local  - expressed in
terms of traditional dialect and local beer. Traditional garb, however, was
generally shunned as being either "retro" or "fake".

Jan Primus - the tavern in Utrecht - was the first enterprise that came to
my attention to capitalise on localism. I spent a good deal of time money
and effort to come to appreciate local specificity.

regards,
Robert Haslach
Washington, DC