LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.04 (06) [E]

Sun Jan 4 23:34:28 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 January 2009 - Volume 06

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.04 (02) [D/E]

Dear Mark & all,

you are right: When the point of reference for "naaste" is in the future
("Maaandag naaste aan die eerste van die maand"), then the direction of time
from that point of reference matters. I had assumed the present moment to be
the zero point of the time axis and reference point for "naaste". It was
wrong not to make this point clear. Next time we will just exchange
Minkowski diagrams :-)

The explanation of Tüdelkram is in the very best hands with Reinhard, let me
only add it was said without any harshness whatever. And Sandy, I am very
much impressed by the unambiguous, elegant and exact scotch system!!! Hut
ab, meine Herren! ("Hats off, gentlemen!")

Hartlich!

Marlou

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.03 (02) [E]

Just by the way this isn't so in Afrikaans I wonder if it can be so in
Dutch? The way we use 'naaste' it *has* to be more open. For example,
"Maaandag naaste aan die eerste van die maand." = (Monday nearest the first
of the month) for a date as prescribed through every month of the year, like
my wife's dancing classes. It may be that the Monday in question comes two
days before the first, or in another case a day later. 'Volgende' leaves no
room for doubt.

P.S. By the way, what exactly is Tudelkram? (pardon - I can't find the
diacritic).