LL-L "History" 2009.01.05 (02) [E]

Mon Jan 5 14:28:42 UTC 2009

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 January 2009 - Volume 02

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.01.04 (07) [E]

> From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
> Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.01.04 (05) [E]

> Dear Sandy,

> I judged only by the name of the scientist and am dismayed to hear that
not even Euler was german. (Sniff!) Thanks for the Cantor comfort! I had not
given him a nation, with his latin name. Maybe some of my "french"
mathematicians turn out to be french-swiss also, but the mass of french
names in maths is very convincing to me. It must have to do with language. I
like the idea the more for being unable to prove it, that makes it so
un-mathematical. No -- there are many things in math that I have not been
able to prove :-)

In the Beginning of the 20th century German had a leading role in
development of mathematics.

cf. Hilbert, Frege, Goedel and many others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frege

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goedel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Ackermann

I think they helped me in developping my knowledge of German, since I had to
work through this stuff for a paper at the ende of the sixties.

Many resources at the time were found in *Crelles Journal*:

*http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crelles_Journal*

or published by *Teubner* in Leipzig

At the time *one needed to study German* for understanding *modern
mathematics*.

WWII, preceededed by ethnic cleaning at universities, ruined it all for
Germany,

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Have you forgotten Gottfried Leibnitz!!?

But take a look here at the Field Medal winners (the maths equivalent of a
Nobel Prize, but only awarded every four years):

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Societies/FieldsMedal.html<http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/%7Ehistory/Societies/FieldsMedal.html>

You might be on to something there; six of the "clickable" ones are French,
second only to the USA with 10.  Add in the two Belgians, whose names
suggest French rather than Flemish, and the French-speakers look even
better. Also note that Alexander Grothendieck, though German-born, did most
of his work in France before vanishing into the Pyrenees.

In fact if you click on one of the French names such as Alain Connes, then
click on Mathematicians from the same country, you see how many French ones
there are. Though if you do the same with Grothendiek, the German list is
pretty impressive too. As is England; I initially suspected that they
actually meant the United Kingdom, but I notice the Scot Napier isn't
listed, so maybe they are actually all English.

The relatively small showing from Russia surprises me, and the even smaller
contributions from Japan and China.

Also none of the Field Medal winners is Indian, despite that
country producing many mathematical prodigies.

Paul