LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.05 (07) [E]

Mon Jan 5 22:12:05 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 January 2009 - Volume 07

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.05 (04) [E]

But what about when it starts as "nine" but it's really "nineteen"? Then you
have to stick a "1" in front.  Not to mention mishearing "fifteen" as
"fifty" or vice versa (or any of the other teens).

Kevin Caldwell

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.04 (02) [D/E]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Watching peoples write numbers down is as fascinating.

In English you can begin to write immediately: as soon as you hear the
ninety of 99 we can write down a '9' and wait to hear what follows it and
write it to the right.

9...7   9..2

----------

From: Marsha <marshatrue at mtangel.net>

I grew up saying "this coming Tuesday" if it was Wednesday and I meant next
week.  If it were Monday and I had a meeting tomorrow, I would just say
tomorrow and not name the day.  If I were speaking of the Tuesday of the
week prior, I would say "this past Tuesday" if today is Wednesday through
Monday.  On Tuesday it changes to "a week ago today."

I've had this discussion with a number of people and it seems we West Coast
born folk use this form.....those from other areas often use the Tuesday
week that Mark mentions.

Confusing at best, but it does lead to some pretty interesting conversations
if you have time to pursue it in depth with people.

Marsha Wilson