LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.12 (06) [E]

Mon Jan 12 21:22:50 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2009 - Volume 06

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.12 (01) [E]

> From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.11 (02) [E]

>     This is a very important string. I cannot immediately motivate my
> thesis, but I know I am not alone in my assurance that language
> 'programs' the Mind, to its possessor's great advantage or otherwise.

I don't believe it for a moment! Time to motivate your thesis if you
can, Mark  :)

>     For a modern example, until Einstein developed the concept of a
> 'Local Frame of Reference', Classical Newtonian Physics was at a loss
> to explain phenomena already subject to observation.

But what's that got to do with language? The language involved (let's
say German in Einstein's case?) has nothing to do with the concepts. If
you were saying that Newtonian physics couldn't explain the precession
of Mercury's orbit because the explanation couldn't be expressed in
English but Einstein managed to explain it because it could be expressed
in German, then I might agree that language programs the mind. But it's
not the case.

> Sandy, you  ultimately wrote:
>
> > Re Bushmen, I was somewhat wrong, they happen to count to four (not
> > three) and then say many. Maybe their system matches the five
> fingers
> > of one hand, with which they may want to sign those numbers...
>
> And:
>
> Traditionally, Bushmen are hunter-gatherers, so their language is
> probably still rooted in that stage. Once agriculture took off, the
> notion of "property" must have boomed, making new ideas necessary...

I didn't write any of that! Nor would I have, even ultimately.
Especially not the bit about being wrong  :)

It seems obvious enough that there's some sort of nonsense going on
behind the idea of human beings who can't count past three. I suspect it
was just European colonials trying to say the natives are inferior.

You don't need language in order to count. Perhaps you need a language
of some sort (even if it's only the language of sticks and notches) to
_communicate_ numbers, but you don't need language to employ numbers as
a concept if you're a lone hunter.

I think much of this idea of language "programming the mind" is about
the way people tend to inflate the importance of their own subject in
their minds. Mathematicians tend to think that maths is everything and
everything is maths, geographers tend to think similarly about geography
(I know this because I've had this discussion with a geographer!) and
linguists tend to think language is everything.

> BTW It may be the elevation & the thin atmosphere of our Highveld, but
> not a few of European stock with young eyes can see & are on record as
> having seen from here the four moons of Jupeter with the unaided eye.

Yes, as I said, I wouldn't have seen this as unlikely. I suspect that
given good atmosphere and youthful eyesight you could also see the
crescent of Venus. I thought I could when I was a teenager, though
others assured me I must be imagining it!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/