LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.16 (05) [E]

Fri Jan 16 17:55:31 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 January 2009 - Volume 05

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.15 (06) [E]

It is a Friday evenbign here, the week is over ... and WHAT a week it has
been!

Now, fortunately (for ME!), the trustees are all gone and the morrow's
theoretical day of rest can maybe for once actually be spent NOT working!

Tonight though, my brain is too tired for serious etymology work, but it
seems to me that just maybe Germanic great/grosser/etc MIGHT be related to
Slavic zrê- 'mature' (< IE something like g^hrei-). Germanic would have
added a -t to make the adjective; Slavic an -l (Russian зрелый /zrelyj/
'mature, ripe'). MOST things, when fully ripe and mature are BIGGER than
when not.

As for a connection between 'great' 'and 'greet' ... well somewhere in the
is from an earlier imperative of this verb, and what our ancestors were
REALLY saying when they said "GREETINGS" was ... "BE mature!" ... or simply
"Grow up!"   ;-)

... sorry, don't let my weak weekend humour "grate" on your nerves!

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ

מייק || மாஇக் || Miqueu || U C > || ما یک || Mihangel
Dr Michael W Morgan
Ishara Foundation || ईशारा फॉउंडेशन  || イシャラ基金
Mumbai/Bombay *|* मुंबई *|* ムンバイ/ボンベイ (インド)
www.ishara.org
Одной рукой не поднять двух арбузов