LL-L "Resources" 2009.01.25 (04) [E]

Sun Jan 25 00:32:37 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 January 2009 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Ívison,

The other day you asked:

Where can I find some grammar points on Old Low Franconian? I'd like to
know more about the origin of Dutch Definite articles and Personal
pronouns.
  Can any one give me some exemples of their OLF Declensions?

I can't say off-hand if it gives you *all *of the information you are
requesting, but, if you do not already have it, you ought to get hold of a
copy of the following book:

*Old English and its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic
Languages*

Orrin W. Robinson, Routledge 1992

Its paperback version is available at a relatively low price these days.

Here is a list of its contents: http://tinyurl.com/dayn9w

As you can see, it offers you introductions to the ancestors of today's
Germanic languages. It also contains some rather interesting discussions as
well as overviews of the histories of the speakers. Although I do not
necessarily agree with each and every word in it, I believe this book is a
must-have for people with interests like ours.

As for Old Low Frankish, the Dutch Wikipedia gives you some information
about its morphology: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oudnederlands

Best wishes,