LL-L "Morphology" 2009.07.20 (01) [EN]

Mon Jul 20 17:26:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2009.07.19 (04) [EN]

FWLIW, I had always viewed the simplification of the Old English morphology
as
 being due to the presence of the Old Norse migrants in the politically
powerful Danelagh counties.  The two languages have some points of contact,
but not enough to make it easy for full fluency without constant persistent
contact; and they have different stress.  And it's stress that drives
changes
in pronounciation and at the same time, the changes in morphology.

FWLIW, I think a lot of the same sort of thing caused the changes in Dutch
that resulted in Afrikaans - there were quite a number of Saxon speakers who
migrated to the Cape in sufficient number and with a high-enough status to
make understanding their language necessary but not enough to make the use
of
of it necessary.  And of high enough status that their lapses in speaking
Dutch would be forgiven.

Just my 0.02c worth - and don't spend it all at once.  We do have a
recession
on, after all.

Wesley Parish