LL-L "Morphology" 2009.07.21 (04) [EN]

Wed Jul 22 04:27:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 July 2009 - Volume 04
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2009.07.21 (03) [EN]

 Thanks, Ron:

Subject: LL-L "Morphology"

Heuh! Guys do you notice how fast he hits!

(Mark retires battered but only slightly bowed).

Yrs,
Mark

P.S. Yes, I know about the banyak - baie loan, & about doubling for
emphesis. The former I deemed a loan-word with the others, & the latter, not
as frequent nor as broadly applied, but I have heard the usage applied in
similar context by Germans, "Schnell - schnell!" & similarly in English,
"Quickly - quickly!" Now that I think about it, only in the imperative
context, never in reported: Sorreee!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Oh, Mark!

I don't really beat! I only pet, even though some of my petting may at first
seem like beating to the very sensitive. ;-)

This ain't a contest but merely a round of brain banter among friends.

To put some wind back into your sails, in English you can say things like
"And slowly, slowly he opened the door." (?אתה זוכר את הביטוי "לאט לאט"
בעברית) The concept isn't alien to European or any other languages, but such
possibilities can easily be reinforced and regularized in contact with
languages in which it has been regularized already ... which is why I am so
fascinated by language contacts, and I have lots of company there.

Relax, Mark, and, as always, say hello to that Ruth of yours!

Seattle, USA