LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.06 (01) [EN]

Sat Jun 6 16:00:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 June 2009 - Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.05 (09) [EN]

Marsha and Ron. When Ron analyzed the word “peawadden” as derived from “pij”
the heavy fabric of which the coats of travelling clergy and others were
made, I immediately reacted with “stuffing”. That would be the left over
“pij” used as the interlining for a newer coat. I remember a coat that was
interlined with an old jacket of my Dad’s which I wore to school at the end
of WWII. Might that just be possible. Jacqueline, Seattle/USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Wow, Jacqueline! Thanks. That was just a piece I needed to add weight to my
little theory.

It's repeated below for those that missed it, including our new member that
just joined us from Cape Town:

Seattle, USA

Marsha, you asked:

I'm curious about the origin and meaning of the word "peawadden," as in
"that scared the peawadden out of me."
Any ideas?

I can't find any etymological references for it at the moment, but I do have
a vague theory at least.

Looking at the context, it seems to be a "replacement" word for a word that
is not socially acceptable, typically considered either obscene or
blasphemous. Usually the first letter is a give-away. (Take your pick!)

At any rate, replacement words ("euphemisms" isn't the correct word) tend to
be chosen so as to be silly, nonsensical in the contexts within which they
are used, such as "bloody" for older "by our Lady", or "flippin'" or
"friggin'" for you-know-what.

So what might the meaning of "peawadden" or "pea-wadden" or "pea wadden" be?

Enter my theory, going back generations to the time of early European
settlement in America. And the expression seems to be American, or perhaps
rather *preserved* in American English.

Besides a type of edible legume, "pea" can stand for "pea-coat" or
"pea-jacket", known since the 18th century. This is supposed to go back to
Early Dutch *piejacke**pijjak*, a double-breasted sailor's jacket made from
*pie* > *pij*, a coarse type of fabric. (In Low Saxon we say *Piejack*.)

Furthermore, I theorize that "wadden" comes from "waddin'", thus "wadding".
We are thus talking about a type of garment padding.

Go wad your pea with that!