LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.13 (05) [EN]

Sun Jun 14 01:10:00 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 June 2009 - Volume 05

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.13 (03) [EN]

Thank you, Roger! The name seemed so like Mecklen(burg), but the explanation
is quite different! "Mahl" = "reunion" sounds plausible. But plausibility is
for amateurs, hm? I confess it lets me down a little. It seems quite
impossible to conclude by analogy. You have to know the name's history. I
thought I had guessed something, and I was all wrong.

Is this "Mahl" = "meal" (that is a reunion too, people meet there) or is it
the "Mal" = "spot", "special place", e.g. in "Denkmal"? "Mahl" has to do
with mahlen, Mehl etc., I suppose? There is no lost t in Mahl?

Meek greetings from

Marlou

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

I had the same question (about German *Mahl*) when I read your explanation,
Roger. I just didn't go digging because I didn't have the time and wanted to
leave it to others.

On an unrelated (?) point, I am assuming that Old Saxon *mikil*, Scots *
muckle*, etc. are related to Sanskrit *maha* (मह) 'great' , as in the epic *
Mahābh**ārata* (महाभारत) and in *mah**ā**laya* (महालय) 'great
building/dwelling' as found in Hindustani and Persian *Tāj Mah**āl* (ताज
महल, تاج محل).

The Indo-European forms include *meĝ(h)-*, hence Greek *megá-* (μεγά-), *
megalos* (μεγάλος) 'great' (as in "megalomaniac") and Latin *mag-n-* 'great'
(e.g. *magnus*, "magnificent", "magnanimous" etc.).

Seattle, USA