LL-L "Holidays" 2009.06.19 (04) [E]

Fri Jun 19 16:18:10 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 June 2009 - Volume 04

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2009.06.19 (01) [EN]

Speaking of father figures, Ron holds that distinction here on Lowlands-L in
my opinion.  Recently, I went to the Linguistlist site to see whether I
could find lists similar to Lowlands about other languages, and I couldn’t.

Sure, Linguistlist has other lists regarding other languages, but nothing
like what Ron has done here with Lowlands.  They hardly had any activity,
and what activity they had mostly touched on seminars and workshops.  I’d
like to thank him for providing such a wonderful forum for us here.  If it
weren’t for this list, I know that I couldn’t have learned to read as much
Dutch as I can.  It even spurred me to try my hand at reading the Northern
Germanic languages.  So, a big thanks, Ron.

Mark Brooks
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

Thanks, Mark. That was really sweet of you.

But you probably know that much of it is due to many supportive
participants, including you. I just constantly attempt to keep things alive,
fresh, encouraging, welcoming (non-intimidating) and comfortable. Some
levity here and there helps. Of course I owe a debt of gratitude to another
father figure: our patron saint and spiritual guide, the Great Kahuna (
http://lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm).

Folks, it might be interesting to find out how Summer Solstice and Winter
Solstice are celebrated in your native cultures. As is usual, Summer
Solstice has been overlaid by a Christian holiday, in this case St. John's
Day (after John the Baptist). But customs associated with it usually
represent pre-Christian customs and beliefs. I understand that there is
particularly much variety in this in Britain. For instance, bonfires (< bone
fires) are commonly lit during both solstices. This custom seems to be very,
very old. Variants are found throughout Eurasia.

Regards,
Reinhard/Ron (List Daddy)
Seattle, USA