LL-L "Holidays" 2009.06.19 (10) [EN]

Fri Jun 19 23:00:52 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 June 2009 - Volume 10

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
 Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2009.06.19 (04) [E]

 Dear Mark:

Subject: LL-L "Lists"

Referring to your observation in LL-L "Holidays" 2009.06.19 (01) [EN]:
"Speaking of father figures, Ron holds that distinction here on Lowlands-L
in my opinion.  Recently, I went to the Linguistlist site to see whether I
could find lists similar to Lowlands about other languages, and I couldn’t."

Seconded, from this I.T. illiterate. Otherwise I would go further & object
that I have found no lists similar to ours on any other subject. Certain
sure if there was anything on a par with it covering such matter as
mythology I would know. The best I can do in that line is read Frazer &
Terry Pratchett.

Daniel Defoe put these words in Robinson Crusoe's mouth, 'Mathematicks is
the mother of all crafts.' No less truly is Language the mother of all
wisdom. You can see it flowing out from all the letters & incidentally
particularly Ron's, how so straightened a base as Lowlands Languages draws
into its ambit minutiae of the sciences at several removes from speech as
such. & (considering his response to your letter, making only passing
mention of the celebrative days due this solstice) Ron is also very strong
on the fundamental mythos of our Lowlands Peoples, which is fine by me.

Yrs, Mark Dreyer.