LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.25 (01) [EN]

Thu Jun 25 14:24:24 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 June 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: E Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.24 (01) [EN]

Hi all,

Ron, what about coff being related to scoff as in scornful (Danish skuf)?

OED also gives scoff as supposedly derived from Afrik. schoff (sounds Dutch
to me!)
as in a meal eating period rather than a working period as we know it in
Afrikaans 'skof' (E. shift).

And so that brings me to onbeskof (rude), in die tuin rondskoffel (pottering
in the garden),
skoffel vir ure (dancing), and possibly skobbejak (brute).

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Elsie. Interesting ...

I have a feeling *skoffel* is related to English "shuffle", which is related
to Low Saxon *schüffel-* (with the same meaning), apparently related to
"scuffle", perhaps a frequentative form of a Scandinavian loan (cf. Swedish
*skuf-* 'to push', cf. Low Saxon *schuuv-* 'to push'). "Shuffle" has been
known since the 16th century and may well be a Middle Saxon loan due to
Hanseatic connections (**schuffel-*).

Low Saxon has cognates of *skobbejak*: *Schubbjack ~ Schubbejack ~
Schubberjack* 'rascal', 'scoundrel', 'scallywag'. I can't figure out its
etymology.

Seattle, USA