LL-L "History" 2009.06.26 (05) [EN]

Fri Jun 26 22:24:12 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 June 2009 - Volume 05
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

I wrote under "Etymology":

*... dat se dat gud vmme rede gelt koft hebben ...*
(... that they *had bought* the estate with cash ...)
[document from London's Steelyard (1303-1469]

In this context it's better to translate it "... that they had bought the
merchandise with (ready) cash ...".

We are talking about the Steelyard, a compound in London on the north bank
of the Thames by the outflow of the Walbrook, close to Cannon Street
Station. It was the Hanseatic Trading League's walled compound with
warehouses, offices, counting houses, weighing houses, a chapel and
residential quarters. As a regular church, the residents used
All-Hallows-the-Great, which was destroyed in the fire of 1666.

My dates were wrong. 1303 seems correct. Elizabeth I recinded the Hanseatic
privileges in 1598, because the merchants were much too successful and thus
competed with the city. James I reinstated them, but the Steelyard never
regained its greatness. It was never dissolved and officially functioned as
a sort of informal North German embassy to Whitehall until after the
Napoleonic Wars during whose European Blockade it came in handy. The
Hanseatic cities Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck appointed the Scottish merchant
Patrick Colquhoun to their resident minister and consul general while they
were being occupied by France until 1815. The three cities, that had shared
the Steelyard, sold the property in 1853, and Cannon Street Station was
built on that site in
1866.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelyard#cite_note-3>In 1988,
remnants of the Steelyard's trading house were discovered, and a
plaque now commemorates the site.

Other Hanseatic communities in Britain used to be located in Aberdeen,
Berwick upon Tweed, Boston, Edinburgh, Great Yarmouth, Hull, Ipswich, King's
Lynn, Newcastle and York.

Seattle, USA