LL-L "Phonology" 2009.03.01 (02) [E]

Sun Mar 1 18:52:26 UTC 2009

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hey Lowlanders,
I'm mainly addressing the Brabanders on this list, (Luc, ..., ?)
As I am working on a sort of unified Brabantish spelling/grammar currently,
I ran into some problems with the dialect forms of the verb "to itch".
(which is problematic in most Dutch dialects I think)
For Vlaams-Brabant I found forms EUKEN, UUKEN, UUËKEN, JUUKEN, JUUËKEN,
JÖKKEN, JOEËKEN, OEËKEN, HUUËKEN, HUKSELEN.

I suppose its impossible to unify these all under 1 form, but I cant even
find an underlying 2 or 3 forms either. So I hoped one of you guys knew more
about the underlying phonology. The forms without J, any idea if these are
mainly used in H-less areas? or is the whole of Vl-Br retaining their Hs?
(in former case I could at least classify the J-less forms under the
H-forms)

The vocals are puzzling me too, OEËKEN and JOEËKEN seem to clearly have an
O2, representing a non-existing Gmc *au as it would have in most other words
with oeë. But this is the first time I see the diphthong UUË in Brabantish.
What other words would it occur in? I assumse the UU forms are
monophthongised from UUË? Could it be umlauted *au? (as in 'geloven')
Any other ideas as what is unifying some of these forms in the light of
historical Brabantish phonology?

Greetings, Diederik