LL-L "Etymology" 2009.03.04 (04) [E]

Wed Mar 4 20:46:58 UTC 2009

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.03.04 (01) [E]

Bagpipes are actually found in many pastoral societies around the world.
 The ancient Egyptians had them, and I believe they’re found in places such
as Turkey and Bulgaria even today.

Kevin Caldwell

From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.03.03 (04) [E

There has been quite a lot in the British press this last week about how
cricket was originally a game played by Flemish weavers, who brought it to
England in the Middle Ages. In fact, there is also evidence of golf and
bagpipes (commonly supposed to be Scottish inventions) in Flemish paintings.
I suspect that all these games and pastimes were present in some form
throughout Europe at one time, but were forgotten and then reintroduced.
Surely football and rugby are English inventions, though (although I once
heard of a Russian who thought that football must be Russian because the
Russian word "futbol" is declined like a normal Russian noun, unlike
obviously foreign imports such as "vino", which is indeclinable)?

David Clarke