LL-L "Technica" 2009.03.06 (04) [E]

Fri Mar 6 22:20:08 UTC 2009

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Technica

Many of us may have resources that date from the beginning of last century
or before.

These publications may be yellowing and becoming brittle.

Litterature in lowlands dialects is often a bit kitchy: "my mother
language", "in the shadow of our village tower" etc;, so often of low
literary value (so it will never be scanned by serious libraries), but this
stuff may still be very interesting as witness of a local language/dialect
variant.

We could scan those publications before brittleness turns them completely
into power.

So I have a couple of questions.

1 - What about legal rights?

- Can we scan, and publish on the web, an original print, after the author
is dead for at least 70 years?

- Do we have some rights on the scan (since we did it and the scanned
original copy is our property)?

  E.g. I would state that my scans are my property and may not be published
elswhere,

  so that I can withdraw it all from my web pages in case a legal issue
raises.

- What when cannot find the relevant data of the author, or in cases of an
anthology?

- What in case of an original publishing house that still exists, the author
being dead though for more then 70 years?

2 - Technical stuff.

I would scan pages at 300 dpi; paste the saved jpg files in a word doc and
safe finally in pdf format, for getting an acceptable resolution.

However the size of the pdf file can blow up and force me to split an
several parts.

I see in France for old books they often leave things as one jpg file for
each page,

forcing to download page by page.

Further I have read somewhere that in the Gutenberg cercles they prefer
character recognition being applied and the content being saved in txt
files.

This may give problems for representing some sounds represented by exotic
characters (I once had a problem with rspresenting "u-ring' in an old
Limburgish text, since it doesn't exist in html)

Further this requires a letter-by-letter check on errors, so one cannot
publish very fast.

Lay-out and titles in the margin are also lost.

Thanks for all advice.

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Hi, Roger!

Interesting stuff …

Suggestion: If you want to past graphics into MS Word and then convert the
documents to PDF, try saving the scanned picture in pict (.pct) and/or
Windows Metafile.*

*

   - In Word, make a text box (without a frame) of the size of a given
   picture.
   - Paste the picture into it in whatever superior format you have it (such
   as Photoshop's .psd format).
   - Select the frame by clicking on it.
   - Go to where you want to paste the final picture.
   - Under "Edit", go to "Paste special" and select "Windows Metafile"
   and/or "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)". Do both to see if one of them is
   better and/or takes less memory.

GIF and JPG are meant to be used on Web pages. GIF is better for line and
simple color graphics. JPG is best for photographs and other subtle
tone-in-tone pictures. However, in Word you are not restricted to these two
formats. By all means try and see how line graphics (such as monochrome
pictures of book pages) come out in GIF and what their sizes are.

In my experience, Metafile and Enhanced Metafile formats tend to be great in
Word (and converted in PDF), both for line and polychrome. You need to
experiment and come up with the best deal re quality and size.

Make sure you distinguish formats by types of jobs. For instance, do
monochrome line stuff in a minimal way (e.g. GIF or Metafile but in "black
and white" or "graytone" mode) so you don't "waste size".

If your document contains word-processed text as well and you have made a
PDF with it, in  Acrobat select "Reduce Size" under "File". This will create
the smallest possible PDF document.

When I want to end up with a PDF facsimile of book pages and don't want to
insert my own text, all I do is scan the pages straight into Acrobat. (Open
Acrobat, go to "File" and "Create PDF" and then specify the scanner.)
Acrobat does a fine job, and it's direct instead of going via another
program.

By the way, you can also scan straight into Word ("Insert" > "Picture" >
"From Scanner or Camera").

I let others answer about the copyright issue. I'm not well versed at that
and would like to know the answer myself.

Thanks and regards,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA