LL-L "Etymology" 2009.03.07 (02) [E]

Sat Mar 7 20:31:17 UTC 2009

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2009.03.06 (01) [E/LS/German]

>From Heather Rendall   heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

*Hannelore gave various definitions of 'dudel'*

*I've just looked English ' doodle' up in the OED and they are not sure of
the connection between 'doodle' = simpleton, noodle  and 'doodle = aimless
scrawl.*

*Could the 2nd definition given by Hannelore be a possible source?*

*" 2. *sich langsam bewegen, langweilig reden, lässig arbeiten: *wat dudelst
'n dor solang'?; *beim *Dudel-* oder *Abobibo*spiel sagt der den Ball an die
Wand oder in die Höhe werfende Spieler, bevor er den Namen eines der
Mitspieler aufruft:* ick dudel, dudel, dudel, dudel."*

*Heather*

*Worcestershire, UK*

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Heather!

My hunch is that the semantic extension of *dudeln* is a bit like that of
'to fiddle' in English: "to play the fiddle" > "to fumble and fidget" -- in
this case "to play the bagpipe" > "to go on and on (with that wretched
sound/activity)" > "to waste time with some slow-going pursuit"

And then there is "to dawdle" ...

According to the *Herkunftsduden*, German *dudeln* comes from *dudy*, *duduk
* etc., Slavic names for bagpipes (equivalents of German
*Bock*'billy-goat', 'large type of bagpipes').

Seattle, USA