LL-L "Resources" 2009.05.01 (03) [E]

Fri May 1 14:31:51 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 May 2009 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

In case you are not aware of it already, I would like to draw your attention
to another language education effort on the Web:

Omniglot <http://omniglot.com> (omniglot.com)

This is a splendid and popular resource for "lingophiles", both seasoned and
budding (staying with todays May 1 spring theme). Like our Web resources, it
is a work in constant progress. It introduces the languages of the world and
focuses on their scripts. It provides language samples, a passage from the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights wherever possible, some of them with
sound. Also, there are numerous lists of common phrases, some of them with
sound files as well. In addition, there are things like blogs and quizzes.
It is a language lover's playground and fountain of youth, especially as far
as scripts and orthographies are concerned.

The Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page> routinely links to
Omniglot articles. I myself have been using Omniglot as a resource in my
research for Web publications. Furthermore, I have been helping the effort
with a few corrections and additions and I have found Simon Ager (
feedback at omniglot.com), the originator and owner, most gracious,
accommodating and openminded. (It probably helps that there is an assumed
"language nerd" bond.) Simon welcomes corrections, suggestions and additions
in order to constantly improve the site.

I have made Simon aware of our Lowlands-L effort, especially of our Anniversary
Presentation <http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/>, and he says he is quite
impressed by it. In fact, he kindly dedicated today's blog to introducing
it: www.omniglot.com/blog/

The long and the short of it is that I very much encourage you to check out
Omniglot. I feel sure that the majority of you will like it and return to it
as a regular resource.

Seattle, USA