LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.05.01 (06) [E]

Fri May 1 23:46:47 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 May 2009 - Volume 06

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables"

Beste Ron,

How one expression can tell more about ethics than a whole dissertation:

"Are you still *working* on that?"

I got to know this question is usually asked by American waiters when people
have (almost) finished their meal. I honestly couldn't believe it at first,
but after some research, I found out it's true.
OK, the question may have somewhat lost its initial meaning, but to a high
degree it still reflects the predominant value of "work" in American
society. First of all, in many (most?) countries it's considered quite rude
to actually ask people if they have finished their meal, and secondly...the
verb: "to work".

To work?!?

It really sounds as if "eating" is some necessary evil that you have to get
over with as soon as possible. Something that you may even have to feel
guilty about? Is eating considered like a job? In my opinion, it's the
waiter who should be working and not the customer. Part of his job is to
serve and make customers feel at ease. To my knowledge, "Ober" is not short
for "Obersturmbahnführer" ;=)

But then again, the Southern Dutch are mockingly called Burgundians by the
Northerners, so maybe religion does play a role in all this? Where did this
American habit come from? Is it also custom when people are merely having a
drink?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Hey, Luc!

Ha-ha! Am I surprised to "hear" The Luc psychoanalyzing that expression?

*Ja, ja! Andere Länder, andere Sitten.*

   1. In the US and Canada, a familiar, casual tone is now fashionable in
   the catering industry and in most other areas of customer communication.
   It's perceived as friendly, as opposed to the older subservient or servile
   behavior that is still the norm in most other countries, especially Europe.
   I am surprised, though, that that American waiter has not been briefed that
   his tone and expressions might offend or at least mystify European
   customers. Personally, perhaps because I am used to it, I prefer the more
   casual tone, because, while I'm for politeness, I'm not crazy about
   expressions of subservience, especially when they are fake and are
   accompanied by surly expressions and rude behavior as I have encountered
   plenty of times in Europe. Besides, American waiters depend on tips, and
   this motivates them to be "friendly".

   2. Personally I believe that "working on it" in connection with food
   originally had to do with children that did not *want* to finish their
   meals, so introduced into an adult context it has a bit of a funny ring to
   it.

Seattle, USA