LL-L "Etymology" 2009.05.08 (03) [EN]

Sat May 9 05:15:12 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 May 2009 - Volume 03

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.05.08 (02) [EN]

Dear Heather & Ron:

Subject: LL-L "EtymologicaL Wit"

Re:
The word 'wasp'.

I'd like to contribute the English dialect form 'wops', that my Grandfather
brought back from his time at the University of Leicester. I know metathesis
happens, but why?

Ron observed:
"Isn't another word like this "ask" whose English dialectical and Scots form
"aks" is the earlier one?"

By the way, haven't you heard the definition of 'Virgin Timber?"

"Never bin axed!"

Yrs,
Mark