LL-L "Anniversary" 2009.05.09 (05) [EN]

Sat May 9 19:29:57 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 May 2009 - Volume 05

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2009.05.09 (04) [EN]

R/R wrote:

> I take it this means a new and bountiful source of Ethiopic and Cushitic
> wrens

to say nothing of a few Omotic and maybe a Nilo-Saharan thrown in for good
measure. AND, considering my job there, one in Ethiopian Sign Language.

> along with the Hawaiian Pidgin one, of course, that has a long way to fly
> across the Pacific.

Okay, so if my count is correct, I owe you ones in:
* Japanese Sign Language
* Japanese Osaka dialect
* Indian Sign Language
* HCE

and maybe also
 * Bombay Indian English and/or Bombay Hindi

These are just the ones I think I have actually committed myself to ...
though I could well think of a few others I might be able to dig up out of
my closet (or my neighbour's and friends' closets ... Nepal Sign Language,
perhaps? Goan Konknni? Kerelan Tamil? Newar?)

And, maybe to make at least ONE of them Lowlandic (okay HCE is already), I
coudl ask my nextdoor neighbour's Belgian girlfriend to do it in VGT next
time I see her ....

> We have an Amharic wren up (http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/amharic.php),
> without sound so far. I'm still working on transcribing the Tigrinya one
> from handwriting ...

Well, if you need any help with the Tigrinya, I would be happy ... in prep
for my future job (and given that I have almost 5 months before I have to
start) I have been working on my Ethiopian languages (mostly the Semitic
ones, but also Oromo), and so my Abugida/Fidel is getting quite good ...
though maybe not as good with handwriting!

I have also set up a filming session with one of my Deaf friends, so maybe I
will try to get him to sign the Wren for me ... so at least ONE of my
commitments will be closer to submission ;-)

[and, note to our Deaf Scotsman, the new AAU ETHSL&DS programme seems to be
committed to Sign Writing ... so I may just have to switch over to your
side!! ;-)]

> Best wishes!

Thanks ... and for the congrats as well...

This is clearly a case of what my wife calls "one door closes and another
one opens", as his job came to my attention the day after the trustees
accepted my resignation at Ishara. It promises to be an exciting adventure
... to say nothing of the opportunity to live and work on yet ANOTHER
continent ;-)  My plans as of today are to come BACK to India in 2 years
(the contract at AAU is for that length of time) ... which will give you
time to come up with a longer wishlist...

mike || U C > || мика  || माईक || マイク ሚካኤል
      (( Michael W Morgan, PhD ))
linguist STILL temporarily at large in Bom Bahia