LL-L "Anniversary" 2009.05.09 (07) [EN]

Sat May 9 20:51:07 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 May 2009 - Volume 07

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2009.05.09 (05) [EN]

> I hope your enthusiasm won't make the jobs seem too daunting; i.e. don't
let
> your ambition get in the way of execution.

well, actually for MOST of the ones I listed I already have a partial
translation ready ... so we are talking about some polishing here and
there, and some finishing bits, and filling in some gaps ... NOT all 6
translations all from scratch ... which woudl indeed be a daunting
task!

> I haven't been able to recruit anyone for the Standard Japanese sound
file.
> Perhaps you can help. (http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/japanese.php)

Hmm, yes probably can ... as I will be spending a bit of time in Japan
(maybe even a whole month and a half) between now and October ...
during the same time I might be able to get the Osaka version ...
though I have a bit of a problem there as MY Osakan-ben is very
middle-aged male (e.g. "I' = watte), and all the peopel i can think of
who I know that have a good command of Osaka-ben (as opposed to
Standard Japanese with hints of Osaka dialect) are younger women...
and in the past they have on occasion chuckled at my usage... "You
talk like my father!"

> A sound file for the Amharic one would be great too. (
> http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/amharic.php)

Will put that on my to-do list... the coordinator of the ETHSL&DS
programme is an enthusiastic Amharic native speaker .... I will size
him up when I actually meet him in the flesh ....

> Mike, if my numerous interactions and friendships with people from
Ethiopia
> and Eritrea are anything to go by, you are going to have a great time
among
> wonderful, friendly and hospitable people in a beautiful part of the world

Yes, that is my impression from much less numerous but very friendly
encounters over the years with people from that part of the world ...
and also from email communciation with the coordinator of the
programme I will be teaching in. ... And after a year and a half of
rice and chapatis everyday (an exaggeration! ... though in fact
Marathas tend to eat BOTH at every meal!) I am ready from some injera
... and wat! (reminds me of the old "Who's on first?" story...)

mike || U C > || мика  || माईक || マイク ሚካኤል
      (( Michael W Morgan, PhD ))
linguist STILL temporarily at large in Bom Bahia
በቅሎ ግዙ ግዙ አንድ አሞሌ ጨው ላያግዙ

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Anniversary

Hmmm ... I *love* injera!