LL-L "Delectables" 2009.05.10 (07) [EN]

Sun May 10 20:00:52 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 May 2009 - Volume 07

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2009.05.10 (03) [EN]

from Heather Rendall    heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

re: "*sjebabbel"* for a little hard colored sugar candy.
Curiously is that we have again the  root "*babbel*", I cannot explain.
Etymologists pse help!
For the French, Wikipedia interpretes as *babbel + ute* (uit)
maybe it should rather be "*babbel + lutte* (small)?

Sounds like a good translation for 'gobstopper'  ( gob = mouth)

..... which for us here ion the UK, however, are sweets about the size of a
golf ball ( or just a smidgen smaller)  with different coloured layers of
sugar candy. In the 50s the final layer was sucked slowly to reveal an
aniseed. They cost 1d or 2d for the really big ones and could be made to
last all day.
As a child my school uniform included regulation knickers ( apologies to
those of a delicate frame of mind) which were large navy bloomers with a
pocket in one leg! Yes really! I think it was meant to be for money / small
change but it was universally used to store one's gobstopper inbetween
lessons. If you couldn't afford a gobstopper and aniseed ball ( 4 for a
penny) would do, as 4 of you could contribute a farthing each and have a
mini-gobstopper for the day!
Oh the joys of childhood memory!
Heather
Worcester UK