LL-L "Administrativia" 2009.05.17 (01) [EN]

Mon May 18 01:14:03 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 May 2009 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Our fourteenth anniversary is over and done with. So onward and upward we
go!

Here's a little thing, partly reminder, about commercial references.

In our proceedings we are supposed to refrain from commercial advertising.
However, "commercial advertising" is open to interpretation. It has been our
convention to permit announcing the availability of relevant resources, not
only web resources but also books, software, CDs, videos and such that are
for sale. Also, it has been all right to mention where such items can be
purchased if they are hard to come by. The only thing I assume all of us do
not wish to see is outright advertising in postings.

I suggest we leave it as it is.

However, I am thinking of having within our online presentations -- only on
select resource pages and as unobtrusively as possible -- some links to
online distributors of specific, mostly language-related publications. As
most of you know, I have been paying out of my own pocket for all
Web-related goods, services and the growing Web space, have purchased
software specifically for LL-L projects and have been spending and will
further be spending thousands of hours working on our presentations. All
this has been *pro bono* on my part so far. But this has become rather
expensive and a personal burden and drain in the meantime. At least a part
of it might be offset by means of resource links to certain vendors. This
can be as simple as a text link for a book, CD, etc., or a group of these.
No, I do not plan on having flashy commercial banners and such flying all
over the place.

As I said, this will affect only certain pages dedicated to resources.

*There will be no direct commercial links on pages containing Lowlands-L
members' works. *

However, with a member's permission and on that member's pages only there
may be links to that member's works offered for sale. As a part of your
introduction in the Anniversary project or the Gallery, your publications
may be mentioned with or without unobtrusive links to distributors. The same
applies to our members' resource guide (http://lowlands-l.net/resources/)
where you may unobtrusively advertise your works, companies, services and
such, even if they are not directly Lowlands-related. For instance, our dear
Irish friend Tomás Ó Cárthaigh might list and link to his books (which he
does already), our Dave Singleton might let folks know how they get in touch
with him about Northumbrian smallpipes, and our Gabriele Kahn might let
folks know that she's in the business of German translation and how to
contact her.

Please note and remember that this affects only certain Web pages.

*Our correspondence (postings) and archives remain entirely commercial-free
as they have been for the past fourteen years.*

I count on your understanding and support.

Seattle, USA