LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.04 (02) [EN]

Thu Nov 5 00:38:37 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 November 2009 - Volume 02

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.04 (01) [EN]

Hi Ron:

You highlighted some Latinate words that you felt most known by all English
speakers. You mentioned “use.” So, let me quickly climb up on my soap box.
Okay, I’ve got my balance up here.

Why oh why do so many folks insist on saying “utilize” instead of “use?” It
seems like a needless further Latinization of an already Latin word. I know
you probably don’t have an answer for me, because I know I asked a
rhetorical question.  But, oy vey!

Mark Brooks